Scones with a rose buttercream. Based on Alton Brown's scones recipe, slightly modified to my taste. Butter cream recipe is pretty much a standard except i decided to whip a little Lebanese rose water slowly to keep the fat from separating. #scones #goodeats #foodporn
* 300 grams all-purpose flour
* 16 grams baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 65 grams sugar
* 56 grams unsalted butter, chilled
* 20 grams shortening, chilled
* 175 grams heavy cream
* 55 grams egg, lightly beaten
* 50 grams dried currants or dried cranberries
* Place a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven 205ºC. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
* In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
* Using your fingertips, rub the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better — you don't want the fats to melt.)
* In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream with the beaten egg and add to the dry ingredients.
* Gently stir in fruit.
* Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out into a 3/4-inch thick round and cut into 12 rounds, use 2.5inch round cutter.
* Place the rounds on the prepared sheet pan and bake until brown, about 15 minutes.
** wait until they are fully cooled before frosting